These last couple of days I have spent a lot time thinking about my blog. Not just thinking about what to write for my next post but really thinking about the problem and how often it is seen. Judging someone I think is a form of bullying. Making negative judgments about someone before you get to know them is the epitome of bullying.
I think we have all heard the famous, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". I experienced this exact situation this past Friday at work. I am a waiter, so mostly all the money i make comes from tips. We had an extremely slow night, there were barely any tables to wait on the whole night. Towards the end of the night me and the rest of my co-workers were in the kitchen complaining how we did not make any money, and how it was practically a wasted night. Several of my colleague's then say, "Well it doesn't matter to you anyway Omar, just have daddy give you some money." I was shocked and disappointed by what was said. I felt as if it was something that was unnecessary and cruel. I immediately, asked my colleagues if that comment was necessary, and if they thought it was funny. I then told them that I have enough integrity and responsibility to get a job so that I didn't have to run to daddy whenever i needed money. They were very embarrassed with what they said and apologized to me later on in the night. I began thinking, if I hadn't defended myself that night, how often would they tease me about being a spoiled brat. One solution to bullying is to have the self-respect and courage to stand up for yourself, even when the odds are against you..
Omar! I completly agree! There are so many times that people make judgements about others way too quickly. I think we can all admit to this being freshman in college. When we first began, we thought all people were are certain way based on the way they acted or dressed, but now that we all know one another, we look at each other completly differently. I also agree that if you are going to say something that may bring another person down, don't say it at all, because it could be extremely upsetting to them.
ReplyDelete